BTEC Music Technology - Extended Certificate in Digital Music Production

BTEC Music Technology - Extended Certificate in Digital Music Production

Our Subject


An introduction to BTEC Digital Music Production
BTEC Extended Certificate in Digital Music Production FAQs

This course is equivalent to one A-Level and can be taken alongside other A-Levels or BTEC qualifications.

What will I be doing on the course?

Our Music Technology (Digital Music Production) course involves a large volume of practical/vocational coursework and encourages the cultivation of a wide range of vocational skills. Students will have opportunities to:

  • Record live instruments
  • Edit and manipulate digital audio
  • Use Logic X software to program MIDI
  • Remix tracks and master mixes
  • Compose original music with technology for Film and TV
  • Learn how to create new sounds using Synthesizers and Samplers

Anyone who has a keen interest in Music Technology, who enjoys creating and listening to different styles of music, and who wishes to extend their practical experience and understanding of Music Technology would love our course!

Entry Requirements – grade 4 in GCSE English Language and Maths.

Course Structure

Summary of Units over two years:

Unit 1:  Digital Audio Workstations

You will cover both sequencing, recording and mixing using Logic X software on Apple Mac workstations. Assessment will be at the end of the second year using a practical task set by Edexcel.

Unit 2: Music for Sound and Media

You will develop an understanding of music for TV, Film and Computer games and complete an industry-related task using Logic X software.

Unit 3: Creative Synthesis and Sampling

You will use a variety of synthesizers and sampling effects to create original technology-based compositions

Unit 4: Remixing and Reworking

You will have opportunities to create new mixes of existing musical material in a variety of styles.

Unit 5: Mixing and Mastering Techniques

In this part of the course you will use professional quality monitors and software to learn key mixing and mastering skills to create great sounding musical products.

Summary of Assessment

Unit 1 represents 33% of the course and is externally assessed using a synoptic task from the exam board at the end of the second year. Units 2-5 cover the remaining 67% of the course and are internally set and assessed throughout the 2-year course. You will be expected to complete short practice assessments throughout the course and complete work to strict deadlines. This course is a Tech Level BTEC which aims to provide a range of practical and industry-standard skills.

The course is equivalent to one full A-Level and is accepted by most leading university Music Technology degree courses. The course also provides opportunities to progress to specialist apprenticeships after college.


Recent destinations of Bilborough College students include:

  • University of Surrey’s Tonmeister degree
  • Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts (based at Paul McCartney’s old school)
  • School of Audio Engineering
  • Leeds College of Music
  • York University—Music Technology Systems Degree
  • Music-Technology-based Apprenticeships

Discover more in

BTEC Music Technology - Digital Music Production

Skip to content