Our Commitment to you
As a student at Bilborough Sixth Form College, you can expect the following from us:
- A caring, friendly and safe place to study, learn and develop
- An environment in which you are both challenged and empowered to achieve your full potential and in which you are provided with the necessary skills to become an effective independent learner
- An atmosphere which encourages a sense of purpose, well-being, self-confidence, security and self-respect
- To be treated fairly, regardless of your ethnic heritage and culture, gender, age, ability or sexual orientation
- Excellent learning and teaching opportunities
- Regular assessment and feedback designed to help you improve
- High quality support and guidance from you personal tutor and student support staff
- Expert help to develop employability skills and to progress to university, apprenticeships and/or employment
- Access to a wide range o enrichment, sporting and extra-curricular activities
- Access to a wide range of resources to support your learning experience
- The opportunity to express your views on your experience at college and to shape the way we do things in the future
Support for you
You will receive:
- A copy of the student handbook
- Expert help and impartial advice on progression to the job market, training, Modern Apprenticeships, higher and further education, and how to apply
- Encouragement to participate in enrichment activities
Opportunities to express views through your elected representatives on the Standards Committee, Student Executive and Council, and through satisfaction surveys
- Access to a formal complaints procedure (as detailed in the Virtual Learning Environment – VLE)
- Information about student activities via a twice-weekly bulletin and the college VLE.
Support throughout your course
You will receive:
- Specific guidance and support from the Library and Information Centre team, Additional Support team and Connexions advisors (on careers)
- A high quality of teaching
- Access to essential resources, including multimedia learning facilities and open access to ICT
- As part of the Key Skills programme, attainment of at least Level 2 and the opportunity to attain Level 3
- Encouragement to work on your Post 16 Progress Profile.
You can view a number of our policies via the links below:
- Bursary Policy 2015-2016
- Complaints Procedure Overview
- Corporate Equality & Diversity
- E-Safety Policy
- EDI Objectives
- Inclusion Policy
- Our Expectations of You
- Freedom of Information
- Fair processing notice
- Safeguarding Policy & Procedure updated
- Student Complaints Policy
Equality, diversity and inclusion
Bilborough Sixth Form College is committed to ‘Equal Opportunities For All’. The aim is to create an environment in which everyone treats each other with mutual respect.
“Learners cannot achieve well unless individual needs are met, the provider is inclusive, and equality and diversity are promoted well.” Ofsted Common Inspection Framework 2012.
Bilborough Sixth Form College recognises and celebrates difference regardless of age, disability, gender re-assignment, marriage & civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, gender and sexual orientation.
Bilborough Sixth Form College is working towards Investors in Diversity status. Following on from our initial review meeting in July 2012, Joan Martin from Investors in Diversity reported:
“I was pleased with the outcomes from the interviews, and felt that I had spoken to a good range of staff. Many of the comments were very positive particularly around the staff INSET day and EDI [Equality, Diversity and Inclusion] communication. Staff were able to discuss with me the range of EDI activity and the how this has begun to influence their own promotion of EDI in their job role. This has certainly begun a paradigm shift in staff thinking around EDI.”
If you have any questions or comments about Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at Bilborough Sixth Form College please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.